5 Social Media Guidelines for Authors

Social media is one of the easiest ways to express yourself and your brand. It gives you the opportunity to connect with others from all over the world and allows you advertise yourself and your work. Today, we’re going to give you a basic guide to social media for authors. We’ll talk about how to properly maintain your accounts to increase the number of followers, keep them interested, and ultimately gain popularity within the writing and publishing industry.

Without further ado, here are 5 social media guidelines to maintaining and growing your social media accounts:

1. “You need to be a friend to have a friend.”  

You need to follow or add others in order to gain a following of your own. Do you know how people get thousands of followers? They follow back! It’s important to reach out to others even if you don’t know them and connect with influential people in the industry. Most importantly, be genuinely engaged with them. By adding and following others, it will allow you to reach new readers and meet fellow writers with whom you can share resources and inspiration.

2. Social media takes discipline and consistency.

It’s important to stay active on social media in order to keep your followers entertained. Being consistent with your posts and activity will lead your followers to return to your page often. Create a content calendar. Planning out even the next few days' worth of posts will help you plan ahead and help you post consistently. Post on Twitter at least a few times a day. We suggest around 5 Tweets, with at least an hour between posts. Facebook posts should be less frequent and more discussion based. Typically, friends on Facebook can get annoyed if your posts are clogging up their feeds, so we suggest only posting one or twice daily.  

3. Take your time and brainstorm.

Following others, reading articles, and posting updates and pictures takes time. In order to keep everybody entertained and maintain your followers, you need to take the time to post quality content. Readers are more likely to be engaged by a picture or video based post. If you aren’t able to find a quality visual be sure to have an engaging description instead.

Look for trends happening in the book and publishing industry to spark ideas and create a list of keywords or topics that you’re interested in. By incorporating keywords into your posts and blog topics, people are more likely to find your post when searching for the those terms. It helps to work with others when brainstorming topics and keywords. You’d be amazed at how many more ideas you’ll come up with a when working a buddy.

4. Keep it fresh.  

People on social media are usually up-to-date on trends and what’s happening in the world. Followers want to read interesting content that is relevant to them, so make sure that your posts are recent. We suggest the 80/20 rule. 80% of the time you should be retweeting others, or posting blog and relevant website links. The other 20% can be used for self-promotion.

We suggest using a site like Feedly, a website that allows you to follow different news sources and blogs. At PubLaunch, we follow sources like Book Riot, Literary Hub, Galley Cat and Jane Friedman to find shareable and interesting tidbits about the book world.

5. Join the conversation and add value to it!

Social media is supposed to be SOCIAL. It’s essential to tweet, reply, favorite, like, and retweet others' posts! You need to interact with your friends and followers in order to keep them. Use popular hashtags and participate in trending topics. By participating in trending hashtags on Twitter or Facebook, it connects you to new people who are interested in the same topics and shows that you’re aware of what’s happening within the social media world.


Increasing your following on social media is a hard task. It all starts with a goal and ends with you having a popular and thriving social media account that displays your personality as a writer. By incorporating these 5 guidelines into your own social media accounts, you will expand your platform while expressing to the world who you are as an author. Be sure to allow your personality to shine through on all platforms and be yourself.